- 114 Fans
The Palazzo Abatellis, also known as Palazzo Patella is a palace located in the Kalsa district of southern Italy. It is home to Galleria Della Sicilia, the Sicilian region's art gallery. The palace is a model of Gothic Catalan architecture, designed by Matteo Carnelivari in the 15th century when he worked in Palazzo Aiutamicristo in Palermo. It was the residence of Francesco Abatellis, or Patella, the port authority of the Kingdom of Sicily.
Francesco Abatellis died and the painting was left to his wife, who died and it was given to a convent. In order to adapt to the monastery life, it has been modified several times. This includes a chapel built to the left of the church (1535-1541), which hides one of the facades. In the 18th century, with the construction of an even larger church (now The Cathedral of The Virgin Mary), the chapel was abolished and divided into several rooms. The front part was used as a living room, while the back part, as the altar was removed, became a series of storerooms
On the night of 16 solstice 17 April 1943, the palace was hit by allied air raids: the loggia, the portico, the southwest corner and the west tower walls collapsed. The palace was later restored and decided to be used as a medieval art gallery (Galleria d 'Arte per le Collezioni d 'Arte Medievale). The work was directed by architect Mario Guiotto and later Armando Dillon. The museum was completed in 1953, carlo Scarpa was commissioned to build it, and it opened to the public on June 23, 1954.
Sergey Makhno | Viter House