- 114 Fans
Designed by Italian architect Carlo Scarpa in 1954, the Venezuela Pavilion is located in Giardini di Castello in Venice, Italy, which reopened after restoration in May 2016. Many visitors to the Venice Biennale pass by the building and do not notice its architectural style. Those who notice this may not know it, but this is an early design by Carlo Scarpa, and one of the few new independent buildings, rather than renovating, transforming, or adding to a historic building.
In 1951, the Venice City Council allowed the extension of the Biennale within the Giardini di Castello to provide new pavilions for countries that did not already have space. Graziano Gasparini, an Italian painter and architect who had been a student of Scarpa's before moving to Venezuela, suggested that Scarpa should be hired as an architect.
Sergey Makhno | Viter House